Out of Hours Ferry
Fares for the scheduled sailings and the additional sailing on Sunday at 9am are;
Adults – £8 / Age 12-Adult – £2 / Unders 12s – FREE
Late sailings to meet the Aberdeen ferry incur higher fares;
Adults / £15, Age 12-Adult – £5 / Under 12s – FREE
Please make bookings between 9am and 5pm – Monday to Friday. Any messages sent out-with these hours will be processed as soon as the office reopens. You can get in touch using the following contact methods or use the booking form below.
SDT staff wil be happy to assist with any queries – 01856 711733 between 10am and 2pm Monday to Friday.
- Bookings can only be made by Shapinsay residents, but can be made on behalf of someone else.
- All sailings are ‘weather permitting’ and at the Master’s absolute discretion.
- Passengers wishing to book a later sailing to meet the Aberdeen boat should contact the co-ordinator for availablility. If the OOH boat is already booked for the 10.00pm sailing, this time can be changed but only if the existing bookings are in agreement.
- The times of sailing of the first boat ( 7.00/7.30pm) cannot be changed, but there is some leaway for a later sailing of the 10pm boat, depending on any bookings already made for this service.
- Sailings will only operate when there are prior bookings indicated on the Keep and Share Calendar. To check current bookings please use the online calendar here or contact the coordinator.
- Bookings can be made between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday. Any messages sent out-with these hours will be processed later.
- Emergencies will be accomodated where possible; please contact the co-ordinator.
- Cancellations: all reasonable efforts will be made to notify passengers when a service has to be cancelled. Please provide a contact number when booking. The ‘Keep and Share Calendar ‘ will also be updated.
- All bookings must be cancelled in advance if not needed, with as much notice as possible. Passengers wishing to cancel before 5pm should contact the transport coordinator ( 07901 575162). After 5pm the main point of contact is the Master ( 07884 470600). In this case a text message must also to be sent to the transport co-ordinator.
- If a booking is not cancelled in advance ( i.e. ‘no-shows’) passengers will incur a charge of £8. After 2 no-shows in a period of one year, a charge of £60 will be incurred for any further no-show, especially if the OOH boat has made a journey for which no-one else has booked on any of these occasions.
- If space is available (and at the absolute discretion of the Master) any Shapinsay resident may join any crossing if that sailing has been previously booked to run (even if they haven’t personally booked in advance), A ‘first come, first served’ policy applies with priority given to booked passengers.In this event, a text message or voice mail must be put on the transport phone as soon as possible. Please do not assume that an outward, or return service will run at the published time as no-one may have booked it or there may have been a late cancellation.
- If anyone wishes to use the OOH boat which has been cancelled due to no previous bookings or cancellations, the use of it will be considered as a private hire.
Please complete the form below to request a booking reservation for the out of hours ferry.